Technische Universität Berlin

RSS 2013 will be held on the campus of the Technische Universität Berlin.

A bit of history

The eventful history of the Technische Universität Berlin extends all the way back to the time of King Friedrich II. Originally founded in 1770, the School of Mining was integrated into the “Königlich Technische Hochschule zu Berlin” (TH) in 1916. The TH was established in 1879, when it merged with the School of Architecture, founded in 1799, and the Academy of Trade, founded in 1821. Karl Friedrich Schinkel and Christian W. Beuth, the “father of engineering”, are some of the most well-known representatives of these two institutions.

Starting in 1933, National Socialist ideas also began to impact academic life at the TH Berlin. This was indeed the darkest chapter in the university’s history. Discrimination started against scientists who were either Jewish or overly critical, subsequently resulting in their expulsion from the university, for example Gustav Hertz and Georg Schlesinger, the pioneer of modern production sciences who together with Albert Einstein founded the Technion Haifa.

The university’s reopening in 1946 was purposely conceived as a new beginning, so as to make a clear break with the National Socialist past. This fresh start was also to be expressed in its new name: as Germany’s first technical university it was named simply “Technische Universität”. Its educational mission was reallocated as well with an emphasis on “universal education”. By including the Humanities in its compendium of subjects, the TU Berlin became the first technical university in Germany to present a humanistic element in its scholastic profile. The aim was to bridge the gap between technological research and social responsibility. The challenge of gaining insight into interaction between society and technology remains an important issue even today.

   © TU Berlin / Böck

Map of Technische Universität Berlin


TU Berlin auf einer größeren Karte anzeigen


Conference Venues

The following campus map shows the campus and nearby train and bus stops.  The blue U stands for U-Bahn (subway) and the green S stands for S-Bahn (local trains).  Purple boxes and orange boxes indicate bus stops. Blue boxes are stops of night busses that run all night.

campusplan neu 300dpi
© TU Berlin, Abt. IV, Gebäude-/Dienstemanagement

Getting there

The best way to get to the conference venue, which is the main building of TU Berlin, is described here.  Above is a map, indicating public transportation (S-Bahn, U-Bahn, and bus).  The conference venue is indicated by the letter "H" in the map (Straße des 17. Juni 135, 10623 Berlin), workshops will be held in the building indicated by MAR (Marchstraße 23, 10587 Berlin).